Sunday 3 January 2016

Gathering the fabrics and Tools for BOM 2016

Are you ready?  Did I hear a yes?

Well today I gathered my fabrics and tools ready for the BOM post on Friday th 8th.


Notes firstly for machine piecing:-

Firstly I would recommend that you put a new needle in your machine and ready your bobbin, oil and clean the machine if you haven't done it lately.  For piecing I love to use a 70/10 needle in my machine and I love to use 50 wt Aurifil. I mainly use grey thread to piece with as it blends with every fabric. 

Next I would like you to raid your stash and take 3 X 2.5" squares and sew them together to check your 1/4" seam allowance.  After sewing please place it under the ruler like I have done here.
It should measure 2.5" X 6.5".  If it does your 1/4" seam is correct, if not please turn over and check your seams and adjust your sewing line on your machine to achieve this measurement.  This is important so that you achieve the correct sizing of all your blocks.  In a block with a lot of seams if this is out then your block size will be different size by the time you finish and then none of your quilt will go together very well and you will be tearing your hair out.  So preparation to make a quilt can be more important than anything else we do. 



Checking of the quarter inch seam

Notes for hand piecing if you choose to use this method:-


Gather your tools, I still cut my pieces by rotary cutter and use this little guide by Jinny 
Beyer called the Perfect Piecer but I have also included a 1/4" ruler which can be used also to mark your sewing line.  I like to use grey thread as I stated earlier and I like to use Aurifil 28wt to do my piecing with plus I like to use my John James quilting no 11 needles but I don't want you to just go and copy me, please use what you are normally using. 

Lastly gather 3 or 4 fabrics for this months block and press them if they need it ready for the cutting.

Notes on the fabrics:-
I have gathered 17 fat quarters for my quilt, I may end up added more and it will mainly be from my stash so most probably be solids etc.   I do not ask that you buy this amount of fabric either. Some will be using their stash and that is great.  Now a little hint on your fabrics, I have selected quilte a few with neutrals and a few little wows. Try and have a bit of a balance, don't use all the same value as it is good for the eyes to have lights and darks and mediums. Also I have got fat quarters so using jelly rolls etc may be possible but you won't be able to use for all blocks as some will be bigger than what you can cut from a jelly roll. But you will be able to use smaller pieces than a fat quarter.  

Now for the exciting hint:-

On Friday our journey will begin! Are you excited? Are you ready?

I hope so as I am.  What I plan to do is take you on a journey.  Most of this will be about fabric selection, and notes on cutting and piecing and why I like to do things.  I plan to take a block and really explore that block.  I am hoping that you all partake at some stage.

I hear some of you asking why I said at some stage?  Well let me explain, some people are extremely busy and may not want to do a whole quilt but might like one of my blocks and decide to do the block and not the whole quilt, some of you may decide to make a few of each block and make them into table runners or bags or lots of placemats.  See you don't have to present what I give you into what I am doing, I would like you to take what I am doing and use it as inspiration!  

So I hope you are all ready to take on this challenge and catch the journey train with me!

So I hope you all can come on board with me on Friday and don't forget to share either in Wehago designs quilting community, or on IG under hashtag #WDBOM2016 plus if you would like to do it and only want to share on Pinterest please comment here and I will add you to the board for posting purposes. 

So until Friday the 8th, have a wonderful preparation for our BOM!

Lots of quilting fun

Wendy


9 comments:

  1. I am so looking forward to this. I've put aside some Tula Pink fat quarters but I will have to add to them. Bring it on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tula pink lovely! I'm looking forward to everyone's creations

      Delete
    2. I am new to your group. Live in Puerto Rico. Looking forward to what you have to offer.

      Delete
    3. Welcome Nydia, I happy to have you in my group, thanks for joining

      Delete
  2. Can't freaking wait!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well anonymous I hope you don't stay anonymous forever, glad your excited

      Delete
  3. I'm not sure how to get in??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Connie if you are looking to join the Facebook group here is the link, https://www.facebook.com/groups/355989734552807/

      Delete
  4. Wendy, thank you so much for doing this - it's lovely - no pressure and will be interesting too. It's excellent. Debi

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I would love for you to say hello and share your thoughts on what you have just read or any suggestions you have for future posts or activities. Thanks Again.
Wendy