Friday 23 May 2014

Gelato for the Spring Bloggers Festival



quilt measures 21.5"

This is Gelato my most recent quilt finished.  I really enjoyed creating this quilt and thought I would share it here in the Quilt Bloggers Spring Festival.


This is the back of the quilt.
I think it is just as fun as the front!


 This is my first ever Bloggers quilt festival entry.  I have been quilting for about 16 years and have fallen in love with hand quilting.  I try and do some each day.  I live on the outskirts of a small country town in South Gippsland, Victoria, Australia.  I belong to a wonderful group on Facebook called Celebrate Hand Quilting, it is worthwhile joining if you are interested in hand quilting



This is the start of the making of Gelato


The Centre of this Quilt was inspired by an unusual flower which i came across in my newsfeed on my Facebook page
This is the basting and the initial quilt design being drawn






Here is the flower


Aurifil Thread auditioning
I love to get my Aurifil Thread in Australia from Always Quilting


A feather template I made for the border


I have a very detailed blog on how i make my templates from freezer paper and if you would like to read more about it you can here.
just a fun shot of the texture i achieve with the quilt

I had so much fun using the Emma Louise Fabric with the Hobbs Tuscany Wool Wadding, it became a dream to quilt such a fun design onto. Such a fun quilt with the name of Gelato needs a fun label and with these beautiful colours i couldn't help myself. So I decided to make a label in the shape of a Gelato in a cone.
so here is the finished cone
I initially was thinking of making an Amish Bar Quilt so it seemed fitting to do a backing in this style


Thank You for viewing and voting for my quilt


I would like to thank Amy for hosting this on her blog.

Thank you for taking time to read over my post.  Until next time I trust you will enjoy the festival,

Wendy

24 comments:

  1. Looks fantastic Wendy, you put so much work into it you deserved a prize..................

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome entry! Cant wait to vote for Gelato all the way :) Kathi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your support Kathi, as per usual it is fantastic!

      Delete
  3. I love the label you added ... so fitting! And I'm glad you entered your quilt ... helping to prove that hand quilters are alive and well, thankyouverymuch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy, the label is the finishing touch for me with this quilt, I just enjoyed it so much. Thank you for your continued support

      Delete
  4. Great colors! And that flower is crazy! I like how it inspired the quilting in the center of the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Liz, yes the flower is awesome and i get inspired by almost anything when i am in the zone.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful colours and design.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gorgeous quilt Wendy! Your colors and the quilting are fabulous!

      Delete
    2. Thank you very much, if you can not tell i love colour

      Delete
  6. Beautiful work !

    And wow - that flower is really cool. I had know idea that shape existed in nature like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, yes I had not idea about that flower and the shape either, it is great what we can find on the internet

      Delete
  7. Wow! Just..... Wow! Your hand quilting on this is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, thank you, I feel this is my best ever quilt and am happy to say I was able to do it all myself

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. You will see a little heart icon on the thumbnail on Amy's link click on that and that is your cot, Thanks Tand

      Delete
  9. Absolutely love the colour scheme!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Seraphym, they are certainly lovely to work with, makes me feel happy!

      Delete
  10. I have been looking at all your quilt designs and I am in total awe. Your colour schemes are so unique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, I love colour and trying new combinations. I wish you had of left your name and I could have addressed you properly. thank you so much for your wonderful comment!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I would love for you to say hello and share your thoughts on what you have just read or any suggestions you have for future posts or activities. Thanks Again.
Wendy