Sunday 7 February 2016

Marking your quilt with a Hera marker!

Well firstly I would love to thank Sew and Sow Farm for hosting this monthly link up with tips and tutorials.  I always say I should do them and find myself becoming busy, well this is making me try and do one a month for you.

Today I would like to talk to you about one method I have for marking my quilts.  One of the main ones is with a Hera Marker and because I am using it at the moment I thought it appropriate I show you how I do this.

Hera Marker with my template with my Aurifil 12 wt thread in background

A box hubby gave me and this makes this task possible whilst the quilt is on the frame

So how does this work, firstly I place my template where I want to draw the line

template in position
next I hold the wooden box on my knees under where I want to mark the line.  This gives a strong and hard surface for me to press the marker onto the quilt

drawing with the Hera Marker

a better angle for you to see
The Hera marker leaves creases in your fabric, no worries about getting marks out later.

creases in the top after marking
Sometimes you may need to adjust your light to get the shadowing effect to see the line but this is not a problem
Here is a few stitches on the needle
And here is a cool photo of a few blocks already quilted.  I love this marker and I am sure you will also.  I am really grateful that the fat quarter shop are on board with link which is being hosted by Sew and Sow Farm.  If you are interested in the Hera marker you can check out one here at the here at the fat quarter shop, and also a big thank you to Aurifil my favourite thread for sewing and quilting


few blocks quilted
This is a book I purchased a few years ago, it is invaluable to me.  This version is not available now but there is a newer version out which is just as good.  If you want ideas on quilting this is ideal, it is good for both hand and machine quilting.
a great book
I hope this has answered some of your questions regarding marking your quilts.

Be on the lookout for my Block of the Month post this week and I look forward to seeing all of your February blocks.  I will do a little post of your blocks also this week, it will be great to see them all together.

So until then, happy creating,

Wendy.

9 comments:

  1. I agree about the hera Wendy. It's a must have marker if your a quilter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It most certainly is a must have, I am thinking of getting the smaller one also. Happy quilting Carla and thanks for stopping by 😊

      Delete
  2. Hi Wendy - I love the quilt you are working on. I love the Hera markers every since I used a frixion pen that left marks on my quilt after I washed it. I think it was the fabric pen combination because it only left marks on one of the fabrics. I like the idea of the board under the quilt. Great idea! Thank you for sharing and linking up. xo jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Jan and for the link, it's helping me keep motivated to put up helpful hints for enquiring minds. Besides someone will always have a good idea or spark and idea. xo Wendy

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the tutorial--I have been thinking about getting one of these markers and now I will know how to use it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you will be getting one, they truly are really good, I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

      Delete
  4. Never tried one of those Hera markers. Will have to go get one and try it. Thanks for the info on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they are really good, I am sure you will enjoy it.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for sharing pictures of the marking. I've wondered if the Hera would work for curved lines so it's great to see it in action here.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I would love for you to say hello and share your thoughts on what you have just read or any suggestions you have for future posts or activities. Thanks Again.
Wendy