Monday 12 October 2015

Back to big stitching -Hawaiian Quilt Style

Earlier this year I was asked to demonstrate my method of hand quilting.  I had been thinking the easiest way to get people hooked was if they could do something that went quickly and looked fabulous.

My idea came about when my hubby noticed a lovely Hawaiian quilt as a prop in a movie.  I started my investigation and thought I would love to try one of these.  Firstly I needed to work out if I was able to do on a smaller scale.  Hence came about my large cushion for the couch.

So back at the start of May I started this as a demonstration and then life and my other projects stopped me from working on it.  I just finished a couple of things this last week so I decided to take a look at this one, just for fun.  I thought it shouldn't take to long to finish and I will then have another project complete.
Found its way to my hoop



this is my Aurifil 12 wt and my Shashiko needle for stitching

After a few needles

adding the echoing around the design

after two rows of echoing around design

A circle in the centre seemed to be fun

echoing of centre circle

starting the inside echo of the design

loving the effect of this coming together

You can see I am having so much fun doing this cushion.  There is no pressure for a finish date just fun fun fun.  At the start of every year I write a list of all of my projects started, and what I would like to start etc. This year I had a list of 29, previous was 20.  Well I did a calculation this week and I have managed to complete 10 quilts, 2 charity ones, plus I have managed to do fmq to a few other little charities for practice. I have done several blocks for swaps and I have managed to complete 4 tops also.  I still have two and a half months left in the year.  I am hoping to be able to complete a lot more in this time.  Today I am linking to Kathys Slow Stitching Sunday.  This is what has been in my hoop today and over the weekend.  Do you love Hawaiian Quilts? Have you tried stitching any?  I would love to here from you so leave a comment and don't forget to follow my blog.

Thanks for the visit and have a fun quilting day

Wendy

6 comments:

  1. Looks great Wendy! I was wondering if you cut the backing away behind the applique. I didn't do that on mine when I did it and so I only outlined the shapes. They were a bit poofy to me, but now years later I just chalk it up to learning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Carla I did cut away the fabric behind. I haven't done that at times previous but thought I would for this and so glad I did. We are always learning so true, we shouldn't say it was a mistake just a learning experience

      Delete
  2. I love Hawaiian quilts but have never made one... yet!
    Thanks for linking up and contributing to a wonderful Slow Sunday Stitching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy, I am dreaming of making a large on in the future but will be distant future as I have too many projects happening

      Delete
  3. My mom is a quilter and is always looking for new quilting ideas and I love the look of Hawaiian quilts! I love the bright colors you use and I love the idea that you can turn it into a large cushion for your couch. I wonder what other things you could create with hawaiian quilt patterns. http://www.sewspecialmaui.net/gallery

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate, I love brights and I love pushing or reinventing how we can use old for new or make something that was a has been thing new again. I will check out that site you have left also. Many thanks

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I would love for you to say hello and share your thoughts on what you have just read or any suggestions you have for future posts or activities. Thanks Again.
Wendy