Wednesday 28 October 2015

Sydney Swans quilt

Welcome to my post for the Autumn Quilt Bloggers Festival 2015

Thank you all for taking the time to read, vote and nominate my quilts for the following.  I would like to thank Amy for hosting and for all of the supporters for their generosity into making this a wonderful time of the year to celebrate our quilts.

I would appreciate if you could please click here and nominate me for viewers choice by filling out the form, this is open now.

My Sydney Swans quilt is entered into original design category here, please click on and vote by clicking the heart button once voting opens

I have also entered my Charm Dance in the Modern Quilt section here, once again click on the little heart once voting opens.  thank you

Now let the story begin
So here is my quilt complete
So let me begin at the very beginning.  My youngest daughters partner is an avid Sydney Swans Football Fan.  It was his upcoming 21st birthday and my daughter and I decided he needed a quilt for this celebration in the form of a red and white quilt.
Starting of the arcs
I had a little bit of a design forming in my head.  I figured that the Sydney Opera House which is in their emblem wasn't so far removed from the traditional block called New York Beauty.  So with a bit of drawing and tweaking the above arc was the start of my blocks for the main part of the quilt.




lots of arcs complete
I had decided the centre of the quilt would be like the Jumper the footy players wear.  So I went about making this.  It required a bit of appliqué work and was lots of fun.  Except I thought I had it all looking fabulous and my husband pointed out that part of it wasn't quite right.  So back to drawing and re working the opera house in the emblem and all was good.
here is the Centre of the quilt ready for construction



Starting to take shape with additional blocks


Start of the border quilting
start of the arc quilting
moving along ready to start another block with some of the background grid showing

another photo of the quilting advancing
This was the centre of the quilting 

Centre of the quilt coming to life with the quilting
During the quilting I decided this would be good as a quillow, incase you do not know this term it is when a quilt becomes a pillow or cushion.  As my daughters partner used to play for the juniors I decided it would be cool to make the cushion the back of a jumper as if he was still playing.


Binding being completed
I had been quite busy with life matters leading up to this quilt being made.  I had two weeks to complete this quilt.  I did not have the quilt quite done for the party, It was all quilted and ready to bind and assemble as a quillow on the night.  So it was presented in a box and I then brought it home and finished it and he received it a couple of days later.  I hand quilted this in 10 days.
all folded up as a quillow
This Quilt measured 80' x 60".  It was made using Kona Solids and quilted with Aurifil 12 weight thread using Hobbs Tuscany Wadding.

Thank you for taking the time to celebrate this quilt and the reason it was made.  I do thank you very much for voting for me and I do thank Amy from Amy's Creative Side for making this all so possible.

Until next time thank you and remember to check everyones quilts out and enjoy the eye candy of all.

Quilting makes me smile,

Wendy.

2 comments:

Thanks for stopping by! I would love for you to say hello and share your thoughts on what you have just read or any suggestions you have for future posts or activities. Thanks Again.
Wendy