Monday 25 May 2015

My scrap heap challenge!

My Scrap Heap Challenge - The Trifle Dish Quilt

Trifle Dish Quilt top complete without borders


My scrap heap challenge was on!  A friend decided to start a Facebook group to do a quilt along of the Moda Bakeshop Trifle dish Quilt, but instead of doing it weekly we would do monthly.  Some people were getting fabric kits once a month but i decided this would be a fabulous quilt to use up all of the itty bitty scraps that just seem to multiply.  I have only made a small dint into them.  I plan on doing more quilts like this as it was such fun.





organising of the heart blocks
sewing of the heart blocks

two of my strawberry hearts
The strawberry hearts I designed as I felt it needed smaller pieces compared to what was in the pattern, also I was using scraps so large pieces were not an option for me.  I was also rescaling every block to a slightly smaller scale to accommodate the scraps and to make a slightly smaller quilt
citrus peel block


Citrus row complete

Pinwheel block complete
Two of the spool blocks
Sponge Roll Block
Butterflies and 4 patches
lower half of quilt


ready for last row of butterflies and 4 patches




complete without borders
Now for the fun part of adding the borders, I decided on a sawtooth border as I felt this framed the quilt nicely as you can see in the photo below.  I have cut out a binding from the scraps and it will be bound with a scrappy look, I also have the backing and I will be hand quilting it with Aurifil 12 wt thread.  I am looking forward to quilting this in the coming weeks.





Gelati Bowl of Lygon Street
I am renaming this quilt as I have done some considerable changes to the original pattern and used different techniques to assemble and make it.  I would encourage you to sign up and follow my blog for there are lots of exciting quilty adventures and projects I am about to undertake and I would hate to see you miss any of the opportunities and offers which will be coming your way. 


Also just incase you haven't done so don't forget to check out Amy's Creative Side for the the spring bloggers festival,  I have two quilts in, one in large is my Love calms the seas and the one in hand quilting section is Time Warp.  I would appreciate your vote if you have time and the eye candy is worth the look around.

Until  next post have fun Quilting and Creating,

Wendy


2 comments:

  1. Love the result of your Scrap Heap Challenge Wendy... well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, it has been a pleasure to do, I am now planning on making my own row by rows like this but in my patterns

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I would love for you to say hello and share your thoughts on what you have just read or any suggestions you have for future posts or activities. Thanks Again.
Wendy